Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu

FAQs About Child Support in Pasco County


All parents in Pasco County, and throughout Florida, are required to financially provide for their children, even if one of the spouses does not exercise timesharing. When disputes about child support arise, they always have the potential to become very contentious. Parents are often worried that they will be ordered to pay support, while another may be concerned that they will not receive the full amount they need. For some, the concept of child support is fairly straightforward, but they still have many questions. Below, our Pasco County child support lawyer answers some of the most frequently asked questions we hear about support.

Is it Possible to Change the Amount of Child Support Payments? 

Whether you are making child support payments or receiving them, there are instances when changes can be made to the original support order. When requesting a child support modification, you must petition the court and ask for an official modification. You must also prove that there has been a significant change of circumstances, such as a job loss or a large raise. If the court approves the change, the judge will officially modify the order. Neither parent can modify a child support order without first getting the approval of the court.

Will Additional Time with My Child Change Support Obligations? 

People often want to modify a support order when they start spending more time with their child. The purpose of child support is to help pay for the expenses associated with raising a child, such as food, clothing, and other needs. If you and your child start spending more time together, you will likely incur more expenses during that time. This can provide the significant change in circumstances needed to modify an order

When Can You Terminate Child Support Payments? 

Child support must be paid until a child turns 18 years old, or until they graduate from high school if it is before their 19th birthday. There are some exceptions to this, though. For example, if a child has a disability, support may continue indefinitely until the child is able to financially support themselves.

Should You Get a Receipt for Child Support Payments? 

Yes. Child support issues have the potential to become very contentious. If there is a dispute regarding the payments you have made, you may have to prove that you paid the necessary amount at the right time. Having a receipt can make it much easier for you to do this.

Should You Call a Child Support Lawyer in Pasco County? 

Yes. While you are not required to work with a Pasco County child support lawyer when going through a dispute, it will make the process easier and give you the best chance of a positive outcome. If you have a child support dispute, contact our experienced attorney at The Law Office of Laurie R. Chane to get the legal help you need. Call us now at 352-567-0055 or contact us online to request a consultation and to obtain more information.


Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation